Who is a carer?

You are a Carer if you provide unpaid help and support to a partner, child, friend, relative or neighbour who could not manage without your help.

The person you look after might have a physical or learning difficulty, be ill or frail, have mental health problems or misuse drugs or alcohol. You do not have to live with the person you care for to receive free support.

Carers in Hertfordshire

Carers in Hertfordshire are the county’s leading charity for unpaid family and friend carers.

If you’d like to talk through your caring role or get help understanding benefits, finding a local support group, accessing services or getting a break form caring call the Carers in Hertfordshire Carer Support Advisors on 01992 58 69 69, or email

Carers are eligible for discounts/concessions on more than 300 services with a Carers’ Passport. Please visit the Carers in Hertfordshire website for more information on how to apply for the Carers’ Passport.

If you are a Carer and would like to be put in contact with Carers in Hertfordshire, please complete the form below and hand it in to any of our surgeries.

Carers in Herts Referral Form


Hertfordshire County Council

Herts County Council also have a form unpaid carers can complete to help them access the support and help they might need straight away and enable the council to offer the Carer an assessment, to meet the requirements of the Carers’ Act 2015. To learn more about support offered by the council visit – caring for someone.

The HCC Money Advice Unit have also produced a short video about the support they can offer carers. Click on the link to view the video

Carers UK

Carers UK are a national membership charity for carers. The provide support and advice as well as campaigning on behalf of carers. For more information, visit their website or telephone:

  • Carers UK help and advice line: 0808 808 7777